An Accountability Buddy is someone who helps you to meet your professional goals and commitments. Someone who motivates you to succeed and who pushes you in the right direction.
If you work alone, it’s easy to skip something on your ‘To-do’ list, since no-one else knows it’s in there. It’s equally easy to procrastinate on a personal project that should have have been done weeks or months ago!
Having an Accountability Buddy is a productive way to work. It allows someone else to ‘step into your world’ and help you implement your goals.
After attending the International Freelancers Day Conference this past weekend, I was very fortunate to find a talented freelance writer located in Canada, who is a perfect fit for my accountability needs! We’ll be meeting once a week over a ‘virtual cup o’ coffee’ – good stuff!
If you’re looking for a ‘buddy’, here are some quick things to consider:
- Feel out their personality and choose someone you’ll get along with;
- Find someone that you can respect;
- Commit to meeting regularly, say once a week;
- Bring your short and long term goals to the table – that’s where you want to start;
- Set manageable time limits;
- Enjoy the experience – this should enhance not oppress your life!
I’m looking forward to my experience, and I’ll be sure to let you know how it’s working out in a couple of months. So, do you have an accountability buddy? How is it working out for you?